The U.S. Coast Guard’s Towing Vessel National Center of Expertise has launched a new training hub that allows industry compliance officers or operators, Third Party Organization representatives, and Coast Guard marine inspectors to request customizable, in-person Subchapter M training sessions that are based on the latest policy and Coast Guard perspectives on the selected topics.
Following are the training modules offered and the estimated course run times:
- Introduction: Introduce TVNCOE staff. Describe the TVNCOE focus and two Subchapter M inspection options. 30 minutes.
- Understanding a Certificate of Inspection (COI) (Part 136): COI requirements. Discussion about the relationship between a COI and a Towing Safety Management System (TSMS). 45 minutes.
- Dry-dock (Part 137): Subchapter M dry-dock and internal structural examination requirements. 30 minutes.
- TSMS (Part 138): The purpose of a TSMS. Overview of the TSMS compliance process. 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Operations (Part 140): Overview of Subchapter M operational requirements. 1 hour.
- Navigation Safety (Part 140): Overview of Subchapter M navigational safety equipment requirements. Applicability of COLREGS based on route and size/configuration of towing vessels. 30 minutes.
- Manning and Watch Keeping (Parts 15 and 140): Overview of manning, watch keeping, and work hour requirements. 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Standards for Training, Certification & Watch Keeping (STCW): Overview of STCW requirements. 30 minutes.
- Lifesaving (Part 141): Overview of Subchapter M lifesaving requirements. 45 minutes.
- Fire Protection (Part 142): Overview of Subchapter M firefighting requirements. 45 minutes.
- Engineering (Part 143): Overview of Subchapter M engineering system regulatory requirements. 45 minutes.
- Construction (Part 144): Overview of Subchapter M vessel construction regulatory requirements. 1 hour.
- TugSafe and TugSafe Central: Overview and demonstration of TugSafe (an electronic inspection aid) and TugSafe Central (an electronic compliance guidebook). 30 minutes.
Unless otherwise arranged, the TVNCOE will hold this training at the NCOE training facility in Paducah, Kentucky.
The post Coast Guard offers new Subchapter M training options appeared first on Marine Log.